Free US shipping on orders $50+, $5 flat rate on all other orders
Free organic avocado rattle toy with orders $150+, while quantities last
Meet Courtney Klein, the San Francisco-based entrepreneur and founder of maternity label Storq! Courtney founded the brand with the belief that your wardrobe and sense of style shouldn’t have to change during your pregnancy. The brand debuted with four pieces (leggings, a skirt, tank top, and midi-dress) that can be purchased as a bundle and worn for all nine months. Each garment is available in a luxuriously soft black or white modal fabric (although the spring dress just launched in three new colors!), designed and manufactured in California, and meant to be mixed and matched with your current wardrobe. All-natural, pregnancy-safe creams and beauty items have also been added into the mix. We caught up with Courtney recently to ask her all about life with her baby Nell, newborn and maternity must-haves, and what’s coming next for Storq. Thanks, Courtney!
1. First off, congrats on your new baby! How has motherhood been so far?
Like nothing, I’ve ever experienced before. It’s unreal. One of my favorite parts of being a parent thus far is getting to experience everything again for the first time through my daughter Nell.
2. What have been your go-to newborn essentials so far? Any favorite baby brands?
White onesies, Aden + Anais swaddle blankets and the Baby K’tan wrap. As for baby brands, there are so many good ones. Obviously Estella bamboo baby clothes but also Makie, Bobo Chooses, Little Hip Squeaks, Moon et Miel, Wolfechild, Mini Rodini, Tane, Misha and Puff, Goat-Milk Kidware, Nature Baby… I could go on and on.
3. What about for you? Anything new-mom items you can’t live without?
My Fjallraven Backpack in lieu of a diaper bag, a wide brim palm-leaf hat for shading the babe when we’re out and about, Storq tanks and leggings for getting comfy around the house, Portland Apothecary New Mom Tea to keep things running smoothly, Fat & The Moon Face Spray when I need a quick refresh, and WhatsApp to keep far away friends and family up to date on all things Nell.
4. Switching gears, tell us how Storq was created. When, why, and how did you put your idea into action?
The idea for Storq came about after listening to a pregnant friend after pregnant friend passionately discusses maternity fashion, or the lack thereof. There’s a real desire to preserve a sense of identity and style while pregnant and not a lot of options out there for doing so.
5. How would you describe the Storq aesthetic? What is the spirit of the brand?
We believe pregnant ladies are human, too. Our aesthetic is clean and minimal, the ideal canvas for a woman to express her own sense of style.
6. You also offer a body bundle and a beauty bundle. Why did you think it was important to offer these options, and how did you decide on the particular items to include?
Pregnant women have a unique set of concerns when it comes to what they can put on their skin and it can take valuable time to wade through everything out there to find great products. We’ve tested them all and selected our beauty and body favorites that are not only safe for moms-to-be but also effective and luxurious.
7. Many women struggle with getting dressed and feeling like themselves while pregnant. Others don’t even think purchasing maternity wear is a worthwhile investment. What advice do you have for them?
To the women who make it through pregnancy without buying a single maternity item, more power. And for the most part, they’re right, you’re not really making an investment, per se. We focused on the pieces that help to fill in the gaps in your wardrobe so you can make the most of what you’ve already got and still feel like yourself, just more comfortable.
8. What is your favorite part of designing & producing maternity apparel?
Empowering women who are pregnant, who are doing this mind-blowing thing, to look and feel amazing.
9. For moms (or any women, really) starting their own businesses, what advice would give?
The hardest part is taking the plunge. I say just jump!
10. What’s next for Storq? Are there any upcoming projects in the works?
More chic essentials from your friends at Storq. Stay tuned.
11. Your talent speaks for itself through everything you’ve already accomplished with Storq. Is there anything you don’t do well that you wish you could?
You are way too kind! Seriously. There are so many things I wish I was better at, but I’d be pretty excited if I was a great chess player.
P.S. – Here’s a picture of Courtney with baby Nell in our baby bamboo!