Introducing a lovey security blanket can help soothe your child to feel less anxious about sleeping in their own bed or crib. A baby lovey blanket is a little blanket that usually has a soft animal toy attached to it. These little blankets are meant to help your little one feel comforted when they are alone like when it is time for bed. If your kid is used to sleeping with you, the transition to sleeping on their own can be a difficult process.
Making a lovey blanket part of your child’s bedtime routine will help you and your child develop separate yet restful sleeping habits. A baby’s lovey is meant to help them learn how to self soothe. The idea is to replace their dependence on always being held or comforted by mommy or daddy when falling asleep. Allowing your kid to form a bond with a lovey toy will help them establish a bit more independence.
If you are already experienced with crocheting you can find a lot of crochet patterns for security blankets on the web. Some of these patterns may not be suitable for beginners. If you are not so crafty you can opt for a lovey by Estella. These blankets are perfect for transitioning your child to independent sleeping.
Introducing something new to your little one takes effort and patience. Here is a list of tips to help you successfully introduce a lovey for baby sleep training:
- Choose the right lovey. Your child’s lovey blanket should not be too big so that they can hold it and lay with it for comfort.
- Introduce the lovey as a best friend or a bedtime buddy. It is important that your kid doesn’t group their lovey with the rest of their toys. It has a special purpose. Take it everywhere and incorporate it into all activities. Or you may choose to reserve this toy for naps and bedtime. Keep it in your baby’s crib or only bring it out when you want your child to sleep (in the car, on a plane, etc.) that way they will always associate it with sleeping.
- Make the lovey smell like you. Keep the lovey against your skin for a while before you first give it to your baby. Your scent can provide great soothing and help your baby associate their lovey with the comfort they are already used to. This will help baby create an attachment to the new toy.
- Watch out for small pieces. Make sure there isn’t any tiny pieces (like eyes or nose pieces) that can potentially come off. This can be a choking hazard for your baby.
- Use a second lovey. It is a good idea to keep a backup lovey just in case something happens with the other one. To do this, you will need to use them interchangeably so that your child will love them equally and will not know the difference.
- Give little lovey a name. A name is needed so that you can refer to it and give it more personality.
- Wash it regularly. If your baby is used to a clean lovey they will not get upset, or even notice, when it has been washed. (This is another reason to have a second one handy while the other is in the laundry.)
- Don't expect an overnight transformation. Your baby needs time to get used to their new lovey. Give it a little while. It can take a couple of weeks to establish an attachment.
If you are not sure if your munchkin is ready for a lovey, there is one very important question to consider: Is your baby old enough? If your baby is younger than six months old they are not ready for a lovey. They are too young to bond with inanimate objects so you will not likely have success. Though the most important reason your baby should be older than six months is because a lovey can pose a sleeping hazard for your child. You certainly don’t want to increase the risk of suffocating or SIDS.
If your little love is six months or older and you are still uneasy about introducing a lovey blanket, you may choose to wait until your baby is at least 12 months old, as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Consider your baby’s milestones. Many parents feel comfortable when their kid is able to roll over, sit up, and crawl. These milestones usually occur before 12 months. Your child’s pediatrician can help you decide if your little one is ready for a lovey.
Whether you are shopping for a newly expectant mother or an experienced parent, Estella’s luxury lovey blankets are the perfect gift. Estella offers a collection of organic cotton security blankets and lovies with a variety of bold, graphic designs. These high quality baby gifts are handcrafted from ultra soft, 100% GOTS certified cotton. Estella items have been featured on several platforms such as Vogue, People, Elle, The New York Times, and CNN. With an award from Parents Magazine for Best Baby Toys, Estella is sure to have the perfect lovey blanket for your little love.