NYC facialist Joanna Vargas has amassed a loyal following over the years due to her effective treatments that leave clients with glowing skin and clear complexions. And, even if you don’t live in New York, you can still reap the benefits of her work with her line of all-natural skincare products. We had the opportunity to chat with Joanna on her beauty and skincare tips while pregnant, new mom must-haves, and her favorite parts about motherhood. Bonus: we’ve teamed up with the Joanna Vargas salon for the ultimate Mother’s Day giveaway – enter here for your chance to win a facial and Joanna’s entire skincare line for mom and an Estella bamboo baby romper, hat, and two organic toys for baby!
1. Are there any beauty products/ingredients/treatments that women should avoid and/or seek out when they’re pregnant?
I would stick to basics- doing gentle cleansing facials with lots of oxygen always feels right when you are pregnant.
2. A day at the spa can be such a treat for a new mom. What would you recommend?
I think a great exfoliation is both cleansing and relaxing. I love recommending full body microdermabrasion because it thoroughly removes dead cells and surface dirt while helps to restore one's elasticity and nothing is better for a new mom! I also would recommend a nice oxygen facial to help cleanse the pores and soothe and hydrate the skin.
3. Are there any common skin concerns you see in pregnant women or new moms that can be prevented or easily treated?
Common concerns deal with the sensitivity that pregnant women face with their skin and the hormonal breakouts. It’s really hard to prevent a hormonal breakout but you can easily keep it under control with the right regimen. I love using Eminence Organics on my pregnant clients because everything smells wonderful and is very safe for the baby.
4. What were some of your favorite ways to treat yourself during pregnancy?
Yoga was always a great way to treat me during both pregnancies. I loved how it made me feel more energized and during my second pregnancy, I found that plus Pilates made me sleep better, keep my lymphatic system working properly (so I didn’t have swollen feet) and my back felt great. My delivery was amazing and quick the second time around too because my body was so much stronger from the Pilates!
5. When you were a new mom, were there any must-haves (for you and baby!) that you always had on hand?
My must haves for both babies was Mustella Face Cloths. The smell is incredible and nothing quite takes away the smell of baby vomit like those. I also couldn’t live without Jurlique Calendula Cream for both kids’ skin. It keeps away baby eczema really well and is a great secondary diaper cream.
6. There’s so much talk about the work-life balance – as a mom and business owner, what has worked for you?
I think forgiving yourself for not being perfect is big. I don’t make a big deal about it if I mess up sometimes. I am very strict about my schedule and I always explain it to clients if I am unavailable because of a kid thing. No one ever begrudges you for needing to be at your kids' school play. And I am pretty good about not bringing my work home. Once I cross the threshold, I’m just mom.
7. What is one thing nobody told you about parenthood?
How wonderful it is and how it enhanced my whole life. I feel like I love my work so much more because it’s only a part of my life instead of my whole life.
8. Lastly, spring has finally arrived in NYC! What are some of your favorite kid-friendly spots or activities this time of year?
My son takes Parkour classes in Central Park- it’s the best city park I have ever been to!