A Conversation With: Laia Aguilar of Bobo Choses
We were lucky enough to chat with Laia Aguilar, the creative director and designer of Bobo Choses, about the line’s fall 2013 collection, her favorite pieces from the collection, what the future holds for Bobo, and even her famous gazpacho. Be sure to check out the preview of the fall collection, available for pre-order now.
1. Your joy for design and love for what you do clearly come through in the clothes you create. What are your most favorite and least favorite portions of designing each season’s collection?
I love to create T-shirts and sweatshirts. I like simple and bold garments. My wish is to be a part of the children’s memories once they grow up. Each garment is special and it is a part of a whole. It completes a story, and I like to invent them constantly. Actually, my colleagues tell me to take a rest!
2. Do you have a philosophy about how children should dress in terms of colors, fabrics, gender or anything else? What brands does Pablo like other than Bobo Choses?
I don’t have any particular philosophy. Above all, kids need to feel special. People say that BOBO CHOSES makes children look handsome, and I think the secret is to do simple and honest clothes. Pablo and Adriana (my little daughter) wear Bobo Choses basically but they also like Bellerose, Nico Nico, Mini Rodini and basics from Zara.
3. What are your favorite pieces from this fall’s collection and why?
Jagger pants, Pablo adores them. Guitar t-shirt and multi-hats sweatshirt, multi-umbrella dress, and a pink knitted jumper for my little princess. And the boots!
4. What adjectives would you use to describe Bobo Choses?
Simple, honest and with a strong personality.
5. Bobo Choses is really a lifestyle brand: you design clothes, shoes, bags, toys, women’s, home furnishings, etc. Is there a space the line has not gone yet that you would like to go?
We are working on new projects that we can’t make public yet, we hope you can see them soon. The truth is that I am curious about everything. I love the synergies with other talented brands that really have things to tell. We’re always trying to produce new things. The culmination will be the day we open a BOBO CHOSES concept store.
6. Bobo Choses is clearly evolving: you’ve added new fabrics and some dressier bodies for fall. How do you see the line developing in the future?
We started in a very naive and spontaneous way, with all its good things and bad things. We try to improve every day searching for new ways, fabrics, patterns, but keeping the original comfort and simplicity. We are constantly evolving and researching, and I hope this is perceived from the outside.
7. How do you balance the tension between your creative vision and the commercial success of an item/collection?
I think I handle it pretty well. Luckily our team is very empathetic and we always put ourselves in the place of the consumer. I know that I need to give up on small things some times (although I admit I am very passionate and intransigent if I see the collection losing its original intended essence). Coherence is very important for me and for that reason I take care of all the details.
8. Your talent is huge: you design, illustrate, and even shoot the collections (the lifestyle pictures are phenomenal). Is there something you don’t do well that you wish you could?
Yesss, cooking! I would love to learn to cook, but for now, I’m not pretty good at it, surely someday! My husband cooks better, but my gazpacho is unbeatable!
Thank you, Laia!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.